Professor Mauricio Suárez
Mauricio Suárez is Professor (catedrático) in Logic and Philosophy of Science at Complutense University of Madrid. He previously taught at Oxford, St Andrews, Northwestern, and Bristol Universities, and has held visiting appointments at the universities of Sydney, Harvard, London (UCL), Paris (Panthéon-Sorbonne), and Vienna.
Professor Suárez gained his BSc in Astrophysics from the University of Edinburgh, and an MSc and PhD in Philosophy of Science from the London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE), and he has been a Research Associate at the Centre for Philosophy of Natural and Social Science (CPNSS) at LSE continuously since 1998. He was in addition Professorial Research Fellow at the School of Advanced Study (SAS) at the University of London in 2011-12, and a Senior Marie Curie Research Fellow also at SAS in 2013-2015.
His areas of expertise include the History and Philosophy of the natural sciences, the philosophy of probability and statistics, and scientific epistemology. Professor Suárez features regularly as a speaker in the Philosophy of Science throughout Europe and North America, and has a long-standing attachment to Cambridge since his PhD days in the 1990s. He has published over 50 papers in leading outlets in his field, and has edited or co-edited four books for Routledge and Springer. He is also the author of an influential textbook in the Philosophy of Science in Spanish (Filosofía de la Ciencia: Historia y Práctica, Tecnos, 2019), as well as Philosophy of Probability and Statistical Modelling (Cambridge University Press, 2020), and Inference and Representation: A Study of Modelling Science (forthcoming with The University of Chicago Press in 2023).
While at Cambridge, Professor Suárez will be at work on a new book on the origins of a modelling attitude in nineteenth-century science.
- Philosophy of Probability and Statistical Modelling. Cambridge Elements Series, Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, 2020.
- Probabilities, Causes and Propensities in Physics. Edited with an introduction by M. Suárez. Synthese Library,vol. 347. Springer: Berlin and New York, 2011.
- Fictions in Science: Philosophical Essays on Modeling and Idealization. Edited with an introduction by M. Suárez.Routledge: London, 2009.
- The Complex Nexus of Evolutionary Fitness, European Journal for Philosophy of Science, 12, 2022.
- Chance, in Wilson, A. and E. Knox (Eds.), Routledge Companion to the Philosophy of Physics, Routledge, pp. 644-654, 2021.
- Informative Models: Idealization and Abstraction (with Agnes Bolinska), in Cassini, A. and J. Redmond (Eds.), Models and Idealizations in Science: Fictional and Artifactual Approaches, Springer, pp. 71-85, 2021.
- The Representational Semantic Conception (with Francesca Pero), Philosophy of Science, 86, pp. 344-365, 2019.
- The Chances of Propensities, The British Journal for the Philosophy of Science, 69, pp. 1155-1177, 2018. (First published online 2 August 2017.)