Materials science and metallurgy
Mario Amado-Montero received his doctorate in condensed matter physics from the Universidad Complutense Madrid, Spain, where he studied the electronic and structure and transport properties of graphene and related nanoscopic systems. After completing his PhD in 2011, he worked at the Istituto Nanoscienze and Scuola Normale Superiore in Pisa, Italy, as a Postdoctoral Research Associate (PDRA). In Italy, Dr Amado-Montero’s research focused on the generation of lateral Josephson junctions based on standard superconductors coupled to high spin-orbit coupling materials.
In September 2014, he moved to Cambridge, where he has been a PDRA and a Marie Curie Research Fellow in the Department of Materials Science and Metallurgy, with Professor M Blamire and Dr J Robinson.
Dr Amado-Montero’s research combines the scientific expertise gained during his career and involves the generation of topological two-dimensional materials proximity coupled to magnetic layers.
- C L Richardson; J M Devine-Stoneman; G Divitini; M E Vickers; C-Z Chang; M Amado; J S Moodera; and J W A Robinson, ‘Structural Properties of Thin-film Ferromagnetic Topological Insulators’, Scientific Reports, 7 (2017)
- J Tiira; E Strambini; M Amado; S Roddaro; P San Jose; R Aguado; F S Bergeret; D Ercolani; L Sorba; and F Giazotto, Magnetically-driven Colossal Supercurrent Enhancement in InAs Nanowire Josephson Junctions, Nature Communications, 8 (2017)
- A Di Bernardo; O Millo; M Barbone; D Yoon; Y Kalcheim; U Sassi; A K Ott; D De Fazio; M Amado; A C Ferrari; J Linder; and J Robinson, P-wave Triggered Superconductivity in Single-layer Graphene on an Electron-doped Oxide Superconductor’, Nature Communications 8 (2017)
- A Di Bernardo; Z Salman; X L Wang; M Amado; M Egilme; M G Flokstra; A Suter; S L Lee; J H Zhao; T Prokscha; E Morenzoni; M G Blamire; J Linder; and J W A Robinson, ‘Intrinsic Paramagnetic Meissner Effect Due to S-wave Odd-frequency Superconductivity, Physical Review X, 5 (2015)
- J Paajaste; M Amado; S Roddaro; F S Bergeret; D Ercolani; L Sorba; and F Giazotto, Pn/InAs Nanowire Josephson Junction With High Critical Current and Magnetic Flux Focussing, NanoLetters, 15 (2015)