Julian Jacobson concert
Clare Hall, University of Cambridge, presents a concert by Julian Jacobson – one of the UK’s most creative and distinctive pianists – who will play a selection of works by Haydn, Weber and Beethoven on 15 October.
Julian Jacobson enjoys a distinguished career as pianist, composer, writer, teacher and conductor. Trained classically at the Royal College of Music, London (where he now teaches, as well as at the Royal Birmingham Conservatoire) and Oxford University, he was also the inaugural pianist of the National Youth Jazz Orchestra of Great Britain.
- Haydn – Variations in F minor HOB.XII:6
- Weber – 2nd Sonata in A flat Major opus 39
- Beethoven – Sonata opus 31 number 3 (the Hunt)
About the musician
Julian has performed in more than forty countries on five continents. Frequently appearing in China, he is Guest Professor at Xiamen University, and gives masterclasses internationally. A large and varied discography includes rarities such as the four sonatas of Carl Maria von Weber and the Violin Sonatas of Georges Enesco.
He is Chairman of the Beethoven Piano Society of Europe and is in the process of recording the 32 sonatas. In 2004 and 2013 he made history by performing all the sonatas from memory in a single day. He will repeat this ‘marathon’ performance on 12 November 2022 in London and 18 November 2022 in Uruguay to mark his 75th birthday. Julian has composed several film and TV scores including To the Lighthouse and We Think the World of You, as well as instrumental pieces and songs. His virtuoso transcriptions for piano duet of Gershwin’s An American in Paris and Second Rhapsody, published by Schott/Bardic Edition, have received rave reviews; Julian recorded them in August for the SOMM label with his duo partner Mariko Brown.
£20 General Admission, £15 Clare Hall members, £5 students and children. Available via Eventbrite.
- See the musician’s website for more details on their career.
- Learn about Music at Clare Hall, and find information on our upcoming concerts via the events calendar.
- Accessibility details: full step-free access, accessible toilet, lift. For any accessibility queries, please email our Porters.
- For media enquiries, please email Katherine Selby, Communications and Marketing Manager.
- For any other questions, please email Rashel Pakbaz, Music Committee Administrator.
Non-College members can join our events mailing list to be the first to hear about upcoming concerts, exhibitions and lectures at Clare Hall: