Professor Hannele Seeck
Hannele Seeck is a Professor of Communication Sciences and has published about 100 academic and professional publications on organisational studies, media and communications and critical management studies.
Professor Seeck has published about 100 academic and professional publications on organisational studies, media and communications and critical management studies. She has authored several books. Her recent publications include contributions to Organization, Media, Culture & Society, Management Learning and IJMR. Please see the list of publications for more information.
The research conducted, for example, at University of Cambridge, LSE and LUT—which is global, interdisciplinary and critical with the profound aim of making the world a better place to live—has always been vital to Professor Seeck because those are her underlying reasons for conducting research and being an academic in the first place. The UK university system has greatly influenced Prof. Seeck’s intellectual history. She completed her MSc, PhD and postdoc at The London School of Economics in the Department of Psychological and Behavioural Science and has previously served as a Senior Visiting Fellow (2010–2015) in the Department of Media and Communications, where she is currently a Visiting Professor. For the academic year 2023–2024, she received a renowned Fellowship to University of Cambridge/Clare Hall College.
Her research is mostly qualitative and deeply interdisciplinary, combining social theory, political science, history and organisational studies with media and communications research. Her research has a strong sociological twist and historical orientation. Prof. Seeck’s work reflects her interest in soft power, power relations and control mechanisms in the workplace and society at large, their historical development, new forms of materialisation and their interplay with subjectivity. Her research focuses on the global and local travel of ideas, ideologies and discourses, as well as on agency, power and governance.
Expertise: Organisational communications; Crisis communications; Soft Power; Ideology; Discourse; Propaganda; Foucault; Governmentality; Critical Management Studies. Current interests: ideology, propaganda & AI; Democracy, news & AI; soft power & South-Korea.
- Seeck, Hannele & Kantola, Anu (2022). The role of professional elites in shaping management practice: How the old mentalities condition the adoption of new management ideas. Management Learning. (3. September; E-pub ahead of print) https://doi.org/10.1177/13505076221111008
- Seeck, Hannele, Sturdy, Andrew, Boncori, Anne-Laure, & Fougère, Martin. (2020). Ideology in Management Studies. International Journal of Management Reviews, 22(1), 53–74. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/ijmr.12215
- Kantola, Anu, Seeck, Hannele, & Mannevuo, Mona (2019). Affect in governmentality: Top executives managing the affective milieu of market liberalisation. Organization, 26(6), 761-782. https://doi.org/10.1177/1350508418821002
- Hannele Seeck and Lamberg, Juha-Antti (2019). Evolving Management Ideas. In The Oxford Handbook of Management Ideas, Edited by Andrew Sturdy, Stefan Heusinkveld, Trish Reay, and David Strang. Oxford: Oxford University Press. https://global.oup.com/academic/product/the-oxford-handbook-of-management-ideas-9780198794219?cc=fi&lang=en&
- Fougère Martin, Segercrantz, Beata, & Seeck, Hannele (2017). A Critical Reading of the European Union’s Social Innovation Policy Discourse: (Re)legitimizing Neoliberalism. Organization 24(6), 819-843. (The most cited paper of Organization of the past three years, November 2020) http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.117/1350508416685171
- Seeck, Hannele & Diehl, Marjo-Riitta (2016). A Literature Review of HRM and Innovation – Taking Stock and Future Directions. International Journal of Human Resource Management 28 (6), 913-944. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/09585192.2016.1143862
- Seeck, Hannele & Rantanen, Terhi (2015). Media Events, Spectacles and Risky Globalization – A Critical Review and Avenues for Future Research. Media, Culture & Society 37(2), 163-179. https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0163443714553493
- Kantola, Anu & Seeck, Hannele (2011) Dissemination of Management into Politics: Michael Porter and the Political Uses of Management Consulting. Management Learning 42(1), 25-47. https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/1350507610382489
In recent years, her academic papers (with coauthors) have been nominated by different academic divisions many times for the prestigious Carolyn Dexter Best International Paper Award at the Academy of Management, and her paper (with coauthors) also won the John F. Mee Award in 2021 at the Academy of Management. She has also received recognition from journals; for example, her coauthored paper was the most cited article in Organization for the past three years.
- Cambridge University/Clare Hall Fellow
University of Cambridge, UK
- Visiting Professor, The London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE), Department of Media and Communications
Homepage LSE: https://www.lse.ac.uk/media-and-communications/people/visiting-and-associate-staff/hannele-seeck/Professor-Hannele-Seeck
- Professor of Communication Sciences (tenured), Department of Social Sciences, School of Engineering Sciences
Homepage LUT University: https://research.lut.fi/converis/portal/detail/Person/22135022?auxfun=&lang=en_GB
- Adjuct Professor (Docent)
University of Helsinki database: https://researchportal.helsinki.fi/en/persons/hannele-seeck
- List of publications, Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.fi/citations?user=6hOGEEMAAAAJ&hl=fi