Professor Ping Sheng
Ping Sheng is a senior member of the Institute for Advanced Study and Professor Emeritus at Hong Kong University of Science and Technology.
Ping Sheng is a senior member of the Institute for Advanced Study and Professor Emeritus at HKUST. He obtained his BSc in Physics from the California Institute of Technology, and PhD in Physics from Princeton University in 1971. After a stay at the Institute for Advanced Study, Ping joined RCA David Sarnoff Research Center in 1973. In 1979 he joined the Exxon Corporate Research Lab, where he served as the head of the theory group during 1982-86. In 1994 Ping joined the HKUST as a professor of physics and served as the head of the physics department from 1999 to 2008.
Prof. Sheng is a Fellow of the American Physical Society and a Member of the Asia Pacific Academy of Materials. He served as the Executive Editor of Solid State Communications, a Division Associate Editor of Physical Review Letters and a member of the editorial board of New Journal of Physics. He was awarded the Brillouin Medal by the International Phononics Society in 2013, the Rolf Landauer Medal by the ETOPIM Society in 2018, and the Bloch Prize in 2021. Prof. Sheng was elected a member of the Hong Kong Academy of Sciences in 2019.
Prof. Sheng has published more than 480 papers with a total of over 52,000 citations, with an h-index of 101 (by Google Scholar). He has presented over 350 keynote, plenary or invited talks at international meetings and conferences. His research interests include acoustic metamaterials, nanostructured carbon, giant electrorheological fluids, fluid-solid interfacial phenomena, and effective medium theory of composites. Prof. Sheng’s research has led to the founding of a successful startup company, the Acoustic Metamaterials Group, which is in the process of establishing a base in the UK.
Prof. Sheng now resides in Cambridge, UK with his wife, Linda Wong.
- “Locally Resonant Sonic Materials”, Z. Liu, X. Zhang, Y. Mao, Y. Y. Zhu, Z. Yang, C.T. Chan and Ping Sheng, Science 289, 1734-1736 (2000).
- “The Giant Electrorheological Effect in Suspensions of Nanoparticles”, W. Wen, X. Huang, S. Yang, K. Lu and Ping Sheng, Nature Materials 2, 727-730 (2003).
- “Molecular Scale Contact Line Hydrodynamics of Immiscible Flows”, T. Qian, X.P. Wang and Ping Sheng, Phys. Rev. E 68, 016306 (2003).
- “Fluctuation-Induced Tunneling Conduction in Disordered Materials”, Ping Sheng, Phys. Rev. B 21, 2180 (1980).
- “Introduction to Wave Scattering, Localization, and Mesoscopic Phenomena” 2nd Edition, Ping Sheng (Springer, Heidelberger, 2006) 340 pages.
- “Superconductivity in 4-Angstrom Single-Walled Carbon Nanotubes”, Z. K. Tang, L. Zhang, N. Wang, X. X. Zhang, G. H. Wen, G. D. Li, J. N. Wang, C. T. Chan and Ping Sheng, Science 292, 2462-2465 (2001).
- “Group Velocity in Strongly Scattering Media”, J. Page, Ping Sheng, H. Schriemer, I. Jones, X. Jing and D. Weitz, Science 271, 634 (1996).
- “Optimal Sound-absorbing Structures”, M. Yang, S. Y. Chen, C. X. Fu and Ping Sheng, Materials Horizons, 4, 673-680 (2017).
- Fellow of the American Physical Society (elected 1987)
- 2013 Brillouin Medal (International Phononics Society)
- 2018 Rolf Landauer Medal (International ETOPIM Society)
- 2021 Bloch Prize (International Phononics Society)